Followers
About Me
- beamies
- I am a stay at home mom to my own little dinosaur, R-Rex and married to a sweet, Japanese clean freak, S-man. I live in small town Alberta where at times the mosquitoes or snowflakes out number the people by millions. Just trying to make it through the day sane, with a happy child and husband and if I am lucky a few minutes to spare for me to blog!
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Sick Again
This afternoon and evening R-rex was a little grumpy. Then by supper time he was very irritable so after throwing up his dinner I decided to take his temperature. It was 38.1 degrees Celsius. Which is not too bad but higher than his normal temperature. Now usually I would just wait it out and see how he is and try and make him comfortable in the meantime. However he has been taking medicine for this other thing which I will get into in a minute, so I was worried about him having a reaction to it. So after consultation with both our mothers dh and I decided to take R-rex to the hospital. Now by this time our regular clinic was closed so we had to find some place to take him. In Canada this would be easy just go to the nearest emergency room and they will take care of him. However here it seems like they have a different doctor for every body part and age group. So S-man had to call around to what felt like a zillion different places to try and find a place open. In the end though none were so we ended up being told to go to an emergency room in some other part of the city but be warned that the doctor was not a children's specialist. Anyways after a trip the hospital and a visit with the doctor it turns out little R-rex has a throat infection. So once again he is on antibiotics.
Now to why he is already on medication. A few weeks we were at our regular children's doctor for a check-up and spots that he was developing. We got told it was dry skin and eczema and were given some cream to put on them. Shortly after he got a spot on his back which I thought was just the dry skin/ eczema thing so I just kept putting cream on it. A week later when it did not go away we headed back to the doctor. He said it was maybe eczema and gave us some other cream to put on it and some liquid medicine and told us to come back in a week if it was not better because it could be herpes. This freaked me out because the only thing I know about herpes is what I learned in junior high health class. However after some research and talking with other people there are two kinds of herpes the kind you learn about in health class and the strain that cold sores come from. Well after a week later it was not better so we trekked back. It turns out it was the second type of herpes which is quite common for children to get. No more changing diapers in public areas without the change pad for us! So we were once again given cream and medicine for him to take.
Once again this is what frustrates me about living here and not speaking the language (which I have tried to learn but since having R-rex can't seem to find the time or energy). I find going to the doctor frustrating because I sometimes don't know what is going on because S-man can't explain it fully. I also like to ask lots of questions about reactions, causes, prevention and other things. However it takes forever to have it all translated to the doctor and back to me. S-man also has been raised to just trust the doctor and although I do I like to know details. Especially when it comes to the health of my son. Now that we are on meds again I am worried that he is being over medicated as he is only nine months old and had to take at least four different medicines in his short lifetime. Does anyone else think they over medicate here or is just that R-rex has been unfortunate to get a few small illness that required meds?
Now to why he is already on medication. A few weeks we were at our regular children's doctor for a check-up and spots that he was developing. We got told it was dry skin and eczema and were given some cream to put on them. Shortly after he got a spot on his back which I thought was just the dry skin/ eczema thing so I just kept putting cream on it. A week later when it did not go away we headed back to the doctor. He said it was maybe eczema and gave us some other cream to put on it and some liquid medicine and told us to come back in a week if it was not better because it could be herpes. This freaked me out because the only thing I know about herpes is what I learned in junior high health class. However after some research and talking with other people there are two kinds of herpes the kind you learn about in health class and the strain that cold sores come from. Well after a week later it was not better so we trekked back. It turns out it was the second type of herpes which is quite common for children to get. No more changing diapers in public areas without the change pad for us! So we were once again given cream and medicine for him to take.
Once again this is what frustrates me about living here and not speaking the language (which I have tried to learn but since having R-rex can't seem to find the time or energy). I find going to the doctor frustrating because I sometimes don't know what is going on because S-man can't explain it fully. I also like to ask lots of questions about reactions, causes, prevention and other things. However it takes forever to have it all translated to the doctor and back to me. S-man also has been raised to just trust the doctor and although I do I like to know details. Especially when it comes to the health of my son. Now that we are on meds again I am worried that he is being over medicated as he is only nine months old and had to take at least four different medicines in his short lifetime. Does anyone else think they over medicate here or is just that R-rex has been unfortunate to get a few small illness that required meds?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
poor little guy, I feel his pain, literally at the moment!
I hope he fees better soon!
I don't know about over medicating, sometimes I feel the opposite, but it is different with babies.
We've been really lucky with Ash so far, he hasn't needed any meds.
I really agree with trusting the doc too much though, I take the outlook of not mistrusting doctors but the view that they are only human and everyone makes mistakes.
When I have questions I need to ask the doc and I can't do it myself in Japanese I write them all down before we go so I don7t forget and also so Ryota can get his head around the question first and be able to easily ask the doc. I know it's different in an emergency situation though...
Hoping little Raiden is feeling genki again soon!
Thanks Corinne! How are you feeling? Great idea about writing questions down before the visits. We will try that next time. R's still has a fever but is very genki so I think he will be alright. Hope you are feeling better too!