Followers
About Me
- beamies
- I am a stay at home mom to my own little dinosaur, R-Rex and married to a sweet, Japanese clean freak, S-man. I live in small town Alberta where at times the mosquitoes or snowflakes out number the people by millions. Just trying to make it through the day sane, with a happy child and husband and if I am lucky a few minutes to spare for me to blog!
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Birth of a Dinosaur
Since we have been on fever watch for the past few days nothing exciting has happened for me to blog about. The good news is that finally today R-rex's temperature is back down to normal. So today I have decided to write about the birth of R-rex. I have been meaning to write it down for awhile and this way I can type it, which is much easier and readable. Also when my memory starts to fail (which seems to be daily) I can refer to my trusty blog :) Don't worry I won't go into gory details but it may be boring so read at your own risk.
Overall I had a pretty easy pregnancy. My blood pressure was high through out but other than some minor headaches it never caused any complications. Though being pregnant in Japan during summer came with it's own difficulties. Including the crazy humidity, a stormy relationship with my baby doctor (stemming from my lack of Japanese like size) and cravings of non Japanese foods. However compared to what some people have had to go through during their pregnancy these were minor.
No matter how easy it was though by the last month I was ready for it to be over and to see my sweet little one. My mother came over so I hoped that he would stay in until she got here but was ready any day after that. My mother arrived on the 13th and unfortunately got an infection and so we spent the next few days trying to get her better. Once she was feeling better we were taking walks to try and get things moving. On the 17th particularly we went for a walk to the local canal to look at the birds. During our walk my hips started to feel achy. Then that night we were at the hospital getting mom's daily IV of antibiotics and I started to feel a squeeze at 6:00 pm. It released and about ten minutes later I felt another small squeeze. After feeling my belly mom said she thought they were contractions. These continued throughout the rest of our hospital visit and walk home. S-man had to go to his part time job that night and was worried I would go into full labor while he was at work so he called his mother to come stay with us.
The light contractions continued throughout the evening and by 10:30 we decided we should go to bed because it may be a long night. I had just laid down and was trying to fall asleep when I felt a gush. I told my mom that I thought my water broke and mil called sil to come get me and take me to the hospital. Sure enough my water had broke and so off to the hospital we went. Doctor had a look once we got there and said I was only at 3 cm but that he had to admit me so I would not get an infection. I was quite discouraged when I heard 3 cms because I had been at 1 two weeks before then 2 a week before and here I was finally having contractions and my water broke and I was only at 3!! I felt like it was going to be forever before I got to hold my baby.
They set me up in the delivery room at the clinic and I got the fetal monitor on. I loved hearing the tiny heartbeat and was so excited. We tried to get S-man but couldn't get ahold of him however when he got home at midnight and found the house empty he rushed to the hospital. He was very excited too!
Contractions continued and steadily got worse as they do in these situations. I wish I had been very Katie Holmes about it all but I was loud. I couldn't find an English speaking prebirth class so I hadn't mastered the breathing techniques so all I could do was yell out and not breath. I was also very mobile, up, down, on the couch, on the bed, around the room. I kept trying to find ways to ease the pain of the contractions. Finally at about 5:00 after being checked again and was only at 4 cm I had had enough and when the doctor asked me if I wanted an epidural I asked how much longer it would be. When he answered it could be another 6 hours I said YES give it to me! I could have taken another 1 or so but not 6 more hours.
He had just finished giving me the epidural when I felt little R's head move down. I told the doctor that the baby was coming now. He said no he is not. I said yes he is. This went on a few more times until I made him look. Sure enough there was a whole bunch of scrambling as they got ready to catch R-rex. A few pushes later we had our little bundle of joy in our arms, at 5:58 am about 12 hours after feeling the first squeeze. I had to laugh at the surprise of the doctor and nurses at how quickly it progressed at the end. They had little time to put on their gowns and never got time to put the end of the bed down or get the scissors ready for the snip (thankfully). All I could hear from the end of the bed is "hayai" (fast).
The clinic I stayed at has a rule where the baby is supposed to stay in the nursery for the first day but after I had pretty much camped outside the window only a few hours after giving birth they let me take R back to my room with me. This is not the only rule they bent for me. After getting the baby blues during the very strict bath time lesson they rolled a cot into my room for S-man and my mother to take turns staying on. They also let R sleep the night in my room which wasn't their normal practice. It really was an amazing clinic with wonderful food, gifts and even a facial on my second to last day. I would come back to Japan to have all my babies just for the clinic :)
So there you have it all about the birth of our dinosaur (which coincedentally was on his due date). Hopefully I didn't bore or scare you too much!


Overall I had a pretty easy pregnancy. My blood pressure was high through out but other than some minor headaches it never caused any complications. Though being pregnant in Japan during summer came with it's own difficulties. Including the crazy humidity, a stormy relationship with my baby doctor (stemming from my lack of Japanese like size) and cravings of non Japanese foods. However compared to what some people have had to go through during their pregnancy these were minor.
No matter how easy it was though by the last month I was ready for it to be over and to see my sweet little one. My mother came over so I hoped that he would stay in until she got here but was ready any day after that. My mother arrived on the 13th and unfortunately got an infection and so we spent the next few days trying to get her better. Once she was feeling better we were taking walks to try and get things moving. On the 17th particularly we went for a walk to the local canal to look at the birds. During our walk my hips started to feel achy. Then that night we were at the hospital getting mom's daily IV of antibiotics and I started to feel a squeeze at 6:00 pm. It released and about ten minutes later I felt another small squeeze. After feeling my belly mom said she thought they were contractions. These continued throughout the rest of our hospital visit and walk home. S-man had to go to his part time job that night and was worried I would go into full labor while he was at work so he called his mother to come stay with us.
The light contractions continued throughout the evening and by 10:30 we decided we should go to bed because it may be a long night. I had just laid down and was trying to fall asleep when I felt a gush. I told my mom that I thought my water broke and mil called sil to come get me and take me to the hospital. Sure enough my water had broke and so off to the hospital we went. Doctor had a look once we got there and said I was only at 3 cm but that he had to admit me so I would not get an infection. I was quite discouraged when I heard 3 cms because I had been at 1 two weeks before then 2 a week before and here I was finally having contractions and my water broke and I was only at 3!! I felt like it was going to be forever before I got to hold my baby.
They set me up in the delivery room at the clinic and I got the fetal monitor on. I loved hearing the tiny heartbeat and was so excited. We tried to get S-man but couldn't get ahold of him however when he got home at midnight and found the house empty he rushed to the hospital. He was very excited too!
Contractions continued and steadily got worse as they do in these situations. I wish I had been very Katie Holmes about it all but I was loud. I couldn't find an English speaking prebirth class so I hadn't mastered the breathing techniques so all I could do was yell out and not breath. I was also very mobile, up, down, on the couch, on the bed, around the room. I kept trying to find ways to ease the pain of the contractions. Finally at about 5:00 after being checked again and was only at 4 cm I had had enough and when the doctor asked me if I wanted an epidural I asked how much longer it would be. When he answered it could be another 6 hours I said YES give it to me! I could have taken another 1 or so but not 6 more hours.
He had just finished giving me the epidural when I felt little R's head move down. I told the doctor that the baby was coming now. He said no he is not. I said yes he is. This went on a few more times until I made him look. Sure enough there was a whole bunch of scrambling as they got ready to catch R-rex. A few pushes later we had our little bundle of joy in our arms, at 5:58 am about 12 hours after feeling the first squeeze. I had to laugh at the surprise of the doctor and nurses at how quickly it progressed at the end. They had little time to put on their gowns and never got time to put the end of the bed down or get the scissors ready for the snip (thankfully). All I could hear from the end of the bed is "hayai" (fast).
The clinic I stayed at has a rule where the baby is supposed to stay in the nursery for the first day but after I had pretty much camped outside the window only a few hours after giving birth they let me take R back to my room with me. This is not the only rule they bent for me. After getting the baby blues during the very strict bath time lesson they rolled a cot into my room for S-man and my mother to take turns staying on. They also let R sleep the night in my room which wasn't their normal practice. It really was an amazing clinic with wonderful food, gifts and even a facial on my second to last day. I would come back to Japan to have all my babies just for the clinic :)
So there you have it all about the birth of our dinosaur (which coincedentally was on his due date). Hopefully I didn't bore or scare you too much!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Awwwww, what a beautiful little dinosaur!!!! Thanks for sharing your birth story. Its inspired me to blog about mine. The point you made about being able to read it on your blog after your memory starts to fail has made me want to do the same, since I swear my memory is going already....
I can't wait to read all about the birth of Princess P! My memory is definetely going I forget at least one thing daily on my grocery run. Wait did I buy milk today?? :)
Me too, I should write down my birth story before I forget!!! I can't believe your water broke at home, that would freak me out!
I love hearing other people's birth stories, thanks!
I love hearing birth stories too. I am always amazed how two are never alike. The water breaking is not as bad as the movies make it out to be. Baby's head usually blocks most of it from coming out in one gush. I had laid out plastic sheets on my futon weeks before because I was worried about it and never even needed them :)
Wow your pregnancy sounds very very similar to mine so far!! Summer baby, high blood pressure, non-Japanese food cravings, but not really horrible. Your 12 hour labor sounds nice so I'll take that as well!!
I really enjoyed reading your birth story - hard to believe I will be writing my own in a month or two...
I love the little pictures of newborn Raiden!!! He looks so cute and helpless in the second one - awww newborns!!!
Me three! I also need to write down my birth story before it gets too fuzzy. I don't know about you but when I was in labour I had no concept of time what so ever, the hands on the clock moved but my brain didn't. My water didn't actually break by itself they finally had to do it manually before I started pushing, it's one of the few things I remember vividly from the whole process. The midwife kept trying to break it and it just wouldn't break, after about 10 attempts it finally burst all over her face...I felt bad for her.
Sara - I am hoping for a quick and healthy delivery for you. I so look forward to hearing how it goes and seeing pictures of bg. I know she will be cute with you and Ryohei as her parents.
chomchomtokyo - I have been thinking about writing it down for ages and finally got to it. I am trying to stay on top his baby book as well as I am known to procrastinate :) I agree about having no concept of time. Sometimes it would fly by (at the end I could not believe it had been twelve hours) and other times it would seem like hours had gone by and with a clock check it had only been ten minutes. Still feels like that during this first year!
As scary as some of them are, I do like reading birth stories as well.
Your son was such an adorable newborn!!!
Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad his temp has gone back down and he is on the mend!
Thanks Lulu!
Love reading birth stories. Am with the doctors on the 'hayai' at the end bit. Must have been a relief. He is just lovely - and love his swim gears!!
I wrote my birth story about four weeks ago - a week after having son number two. It was probably a bit graphic but I agree, need to get it out there before we forget. Things are already starting to get fuzzy and I am having naughty bad thoughts about perhaps I could do it all a fourth time.
No, no. Three is enough.
Katy
beautiful birth story!! stories like this make me consider a fourth, too. GW and i better quit while we're ahead!! LOL
cute little dinosaur you have!